If you're saved, what does that mean?
Last night I got wrapped up in tweeting way more tweets about that topic than I planned on originally. Clearly this is a non-exhaustive list, but they are a good start down the road to understanding what salvation is, and how it will change your life.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you are SAVED. You are in the hands of the Father, and no one can snatch you away.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you are God's forever. You don't get to lose your salvation, because you didn't earn it to begin with.
- #BeingSavedMeans that your life is radically, forever changed. Your former life has been killed, and your new life has begun.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you were once dead in sin but now you are alive in Christ.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you have an incredible reason to celebrate. So get to it!
- #BeingSavedMeans your life has new purpose. Love God with all your heart, soul, mind & strength & love your neighbor as yourself!
- #BeingSavedMeans that your will and desires are now being honed to be in line with God's will and desires. .
- #BeingSavedMeans that the world will hate & despise you...but that you are simultaneously loved by the only One who matters.
- #BeingSavedMeans that Jesus' sacrifice paid the debt of your sin and awakened you to your need for Him.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you can never go back to your old life...and that you won't want to, either.
- #BeingSavedMeans that your focus is no longer to live for yourself, but for God.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you don't get to blend into the world anymore. You'll stick out like a sore thumb if you live for God.
- #BeingSavedMeans that Jesus paid it all, and all to him you owe. Sin had left a crimson stain; he washed it white as snow.
- #BeingSavedMeans Satan has no power or control in your life. Rebuke and flee from him.
- #BeingSavedMeans that Jesus has become your greatest joy and most important love.
- #BeingSavedMeans keeping your eyes on the prize and running the race with perseverance
- #BeingSavedMeans that the Bible will now become your most important possession.
- #BeingSavedMeans that Jesus showed you that he is the way, the truth, and the life and you believed it.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you are now led by the power of the Spirit, and not the desire to merely gratify the flesh.
- #BeingSavedMeans dying to self.
- #BeingSavedMeans picking up your cross...daily.
- #BeingSavedMeans your Judge has become your Savior.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you are now in a relationship with the Creator of the Universe.
- #BeingSavedMeans that although narrow is the way that leads to salvation, Jesus lit the path and showed you the way.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you are on a journey of sanctification that, though painful, is unbelievably worth it.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you will one day see Jesus face to face.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you are a mirror. God is meant to see himself when he looks at you.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you are a mirror: you are meant to reflect the glory of God to the world.
- #BeingSavedMeans sin can no longer conquer you.
- #BeingSavedMeans that death is only a gateway to eternity with God.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you will be persecuted, but that you will also be blessed by God for enduring to the end.
- #BeingSavedMeans marching to the beat of a different drum...the heartbeat of God.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you must not be ashamed of the Gospel...for it is life!
- #BeingSavedMeans that you're a sheep and not a goat, that you're wheat and not chaff.
- #BeingSavedMeans bearing good fruit, the Fruit of the Spirit.
- #BeingSavedMeans that, categorically, you will no longer fit in.
- #BeingSavedMeans that God considers you a son or daughter.
- #BeingSavedMeans you are laying up for yourself treasures in heaven
- #BeingSavedMeans that you have found the pearl of great worth.
- #BeingSavedMeans that you have sold all you've got and bought the field full of treasure.
- #BeingSavedMeans losing friends and the world, but gaining your soul and eternity with God!
- #BeingSavedMeans that the Gospel has taken full effect and that you will never be the same!
- #BeingSavedMeans EVERYTHING.
The Gospel is a topic that we could spend lifetimes studying and meditating on. That's one of the reasons I believe that we will be with God for eternity. We'll need eternity to grasp the magnitude of Jesus, the cross, and the repercussions of his sacrifice for us. Whether you joined in this trending topic on Twitter or not, what are some other things that come to mind when you think about what #BeingSavedMeans? Leave your thoughts in the comments below, and let's start talking! And don't forget to subscribe
to receive new blog posts in your email inbox! It takes 15 seconds...
Help spread the word about my blog if you enjoy it. Just use the buttons above and "Like" it, "Tweet" it, print it off for your small group to discuss, and more!
It is interesting that sometimes we value the glamorous conversion of drug addicts or near-suicidal depression sufferers, but sometimes the very frank and straight-forward conversion people like me experienced is downplayed. I think, in reality, we have much to be thankful for and that our conversion experience lacks nothing in significance. The miracle of regeneration and salvation is nothing more or less impressive. What is impressive is that for some reason God kept people like me from having to go through the emotional turmoil of mass life-change and that we kind of slipped into our new life without bells, whistles or tear-laden altar calls.
I do not mean to swing the pendulum too far the other direction, either. Those who have gone through significant and wholly life-altering conversions where they left behind addictions and other public sins certainly have incredible stories, stories that I love to hear and that bring tears to my eyes. Many times those stories certainly show the power of God in a unique and clear way. All I mean to do is encourage those who may not have had such a mind-blowing conversion experience and may feel that theirs is less impressive or less useful for evangelism. That is not the case. If you are like me, your story shows the glory and power of God, too. I challenge you to prayerfully consider how your story can impact others as you share how God saved you and continues to work in your life.